Bill Chouinard Premieres the Casavant-Schantz Organ at St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church in Mahtomedi, Minnesota
The 4-108 Casavant Opus 1177, first installed in 1927 in the Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts now plays again in the new 1800-seat St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church, Mahtomedi, Minnesota. After being removed to the Academy’s chapel in 1932 and then to storage and eventual neglect, the organ has been provided with new electro-pneumatic chests and a new console by the Schantz Organ Company who restored nearly all of the original pipework and replicated pipes found beyond repair.
With three 32-foot pedal stops, a plethora of 73-note chestwork, three enclosed divisions, nine 16-foot manual stops, nearly 35 8-foot manual stops including five celestes, full diapason and reed choruses in each division and 14 independent pedal registers, Casavant Opus 1177 was dedicated in 1927 by Louis Vierne.
Bill Chouinard, organist of St. Andrew’s Church since 1988 has also performed with the Minnesota Orchestra, the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra and live on national radio broadcasts. He celebrates the organ’s new venue with transcriptions and traditional organ works perfectly matched to the romantic-symphonic resources of the instrument.
WALTON: Crown Imperial
J. S. BACH: Prelude and Fugue in b, BWV 544
ELGAR: Nimrod from Enigma Variations
VIERNE: Clair de Lune from Pièces de Fantaisie, Op. 53, No. 2
FRANCK: Pièce Héroïque
PROULX: Seven Variants on Joys Seven
GRAINGER: Irish Tune from County Derry
WILLAN: Introduction, Passacaglia and Fugue