Originally built by the master organ builder ‘Father’ Henry Willis for The Great Exhibition of 1851, it was the largest organ shown at that landmark event. It was moved to Winchester Cathedral in 1854 on the advice of the Cathedral organist, Samuel S. Wesley. Subsequently, there was work by Willis again in 1897, Hele in 1905, and by Harrison and Harrison in 1937, and 1986-88. The organ has 79 stops, four manuals and pedal.
ELGAR, Arr. Atkins: Sonata No. 2 in B Flat Major, Op. 87a
KARG-ELERT: Trois Impressions, Op. 72
WAGNER, Arr. Lemare/Hill: Overture to ‘The Mastersingers’
WAGNER, Arr. Karg-Elert: Prelude to Parsifal
BAIRSTOW: Sonata in E Flat