The E. & G. G. Hook organ built in 1870 with 3m, 44 ranks, Barker lever, and even a glockenspiel for the Unitarian Church in Woburn, Massachusetts, as op. 553, was relocated in 1991 by the late Alan Laufman and the Organ Clearing House to Berlin, Germany, where it remained in storage for almost a decade. Through the untiring efforts of OHS member and Berliner Dr. Uwe Pape, the organ was restored in 2001 by the greatly respected Eule firm of Bautzen for the Church of the Holy Cross in the Kreuzberg section of Berlin as the only 19th-Century American organ in Germany and one of very few in all of Europe. Gunter Kennel, the fine organist of the Hook’s new home, plays. Surely influencing the design of the organ was William Horatio Clarke, organist at Woburn Unitarian 1869-72 and by 1874 to become partner in his own organbuilding firm with Stephen P. Kinsley, formerly a distinguished voicer with the Hook firm.
MENDELSSOHN: Sonata in f, Op. 65, No. 1
SCHUMANN: Nos. 3 & 4 from Pedal Studies, Op. 56
SCHUMANN: Fugue on B-A-C-H, Op. 60, No. 11
BRAHMS: Prelude & Fugue in g, Op. 122
REGER: Melodia in B, Op. 59, No. 11
LISZT: Variations on Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen